61st Annual Baltimore Open
61st Baltimore Open GPP:30
February 2-4, 3-4, 2024
Championship, U2300, U2100, U1900, U1700, U1500: 5SS, Rnd 1 Game/90+inc/30, Rnds 2-5 Game/110 +inc/30, (Championship - U1500 Two day schedule: Rnds 1-2 Game/45 inc/30)
U1250 and U1000: 5SS, Rnds 1-2 Game/45 d/5, Rnds 2-5 Game/90 d/5 (Three-day U1300 schedule: Rnd 1 Game/90 d/5)
1100 Old Elkridge Landing Road; Linthicum, Maryland 21090; United States
We aim to create a pleasant environment for playing chess. Check out some of the unique characteristics of this tournament.
- Sets, boards, and clocks are provided for everyone→ No more carrying around pieces and a board.
- Free Sunday morning Continental breakfast → Relax, have some coffee and a danish before you start your game.
- Score-based prizes → See the advantages below.
- Top three Sections are FIDE Rated
- Free parking → Don't worry about where you have to park your car.
- $99/night room rate → Relax and stay at the tournament hotel. $5 EF discount if staying at hotel. Reserve a room
This tournament will pay prizes based solely on your final score. All the prizes are guaranteed. If the total pay out in the Open section is less than $1500, extra money will be added to the pay out of the top score group to bring the total to $1500.
SCORE 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0
Championship (minimum rating 2100) - $1600 $800 $450 $175 $50 (FIDE rated)
Under 2300 (minimum rating 1800) - $1500 $750 $375 $150 $40 (FIDE rated)
Under 2100 (minimum rating 1800) - $1500 $750 $375 $150 $40 (FIDE rated)
Under 1900 (minimum rating 1600) - $1200 $650 $325 $125
Under 1700 (minimum rating 1400) - $1200 $600 $300 $100
Under 1500 (min rating 1100 or unr) - $1000 $500 $250 $100
Under 1250 (or unrated) - $500 $250 $125 $50
Under 1000 (only 2-day, no adult unr) - $250 $125 $50 $20 (Trophies to top 5 and top U800)
Unrated may enter Under 1500 section and below, but may not win over $100 in U1000, $200 U1250, $400 U1500. Balance goes to player(s) with same score or is divided among players in next lower score group.
Advantages over place-based scoring
- Less Waiting
- Your score determines your prize. Once you finish your last game, you can receive a check.
- Less Uncertainty
- Your prize does not get lowered if others tie with you. For example, if there are two 5-0 players, both receive the full amount for 5-0.
- Less short draws
- The total payout is always higher when games are decisive.
Early (online or mail by 1/14) $119
Regular (online or mail by 1/25) $129
Late (online by 1/27) $134
At-the-door (cash or credit card) $140. We'll be using Square to process credit cards.
Cancellations will receive a 100% refund if we are notified at least 2 hours before start of the 1st round.
Special Entrance Fees
Under 1000 Section: all entrance fees $55 less
Under 1300 section: all entrance fees $35 less.
Free early entrance to GMs. $50 will be subtracted from any prizes.
$45 discount EF for IMs. $20 will be subtracted from any prizes.
$5 discount if staying at hotel.
Mailed registrations should include name, section, schedule(2-day or 3-day). The chief TD for the tournament will be Mike Regan. If you have any questions about the tournament email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Championship - U1600 3-day schedule : Reg ends Fri 6 pm, rounds Fri 7 pm, Saturday 11am and 5:30, Sunday 9:30am and 3:30.
Championship - U1600 2-day schedule: Reg ends Sat 10 am, rounds. Saturday 11am, 2:15 and 5:30, Sunday 9:30am and 3:30.
U1000 and U1300 2-day schedule: Reg ends Sat 10 am, rounds. Saturday 11, 1 and 3:00, Sunday 9:30am and 12:45pm.
U1300 3-day schedule: Reg ends Fri 6pm, rounds Fri 7pm Saturday 11 and 3:00, Sunday 9:30am and 12:45pm.
Half Point Byes
Half point byes: No limit but all sections must commit 1 hour before the start of round 3
all, $80 except U1000 and U1250 $40. You can reenter any schedule taking 1/2 point byes for unplayed games. If you reenter with a single 1/2 point bye, the cost is $70/$35. If you reenter with two 1/2 point byes, the cost is $60/$30.
Hotel Rates: $99 per night! $5 EF discount if staying at hotel. Rooms are limited.
So make your reservations early. Phone (443) 577-2100.
Parking is free
- In sections that the organizer provides clocks, if both players are not present at the start of the round, the tournament director will start white's clock.
- Clocks that halt on end are preferred in all sections with increment time controls.
- Any player forfeiting a round must pay a $50 fine before being allowed to play in a future tournament organized by MCA or Baltimore Chess.
- The electronic score keeping devices, ChessNoteR and eNotate, cannot be used at this tournament.
- All players with provisional ratings will have 100 points added to their rating for determining section eligibility
- Players with byes who are eligible to play in a lower section that also has a bye player may get paired in that section as a house player. They will still have the bye for standings in their original section. The game in the lower section does count for standings and must be played.
- The TD will specify which direction the clocks must face.
- The provided clocks will be set to "halt on end".
Electronic Devices Rules for FIDE Rated Section (Championship U2300, and Under 2100)
Do not bring electronic devices (cell phones and smart watches) into the playing venue (playing room, halls outside playing room, smoking area, bathrooms, etc) according to FIDE rule 11.3. Players are subject to scanning to test for possession of cell phones. We plan to monitor using both thermal and magnetic scanners. Traffic in various areas will also be video monitored.
Possession of a device that is turned on or makes a noise
- Forfeit of the game
Possession of a device that is turned off
- 1st Violation 30 minute time penalty limited to no more than 1/2 the remaining time on the clock for the current time control.
- 2nd Violation Forfeit of game
|Event Date||02-02-2024 8:00 pm|
|Event End Date||02-04-2024 9:00 pm|
|Cut off date||02-03-2024 10:00 am|
|Registered||6 [View List]|
|Discounted Price||$119.00 (Until 01-20-2024 1:00 am 1:00 am)|
|Late Fee||$11.00 (From 01-30-2024 1:00 am 01:00)|